Thursday, August 27, 2009

3rd Question - Golf And Swim Funds

Here is my response to the following Tribune question:

What should the city do to improve the bottom line for its golf courses, which are to receive $245,000 in subsidies this year, and swimming pools, which are scheduled to receive a subsidy of more than $580,000 from the general fund?

I think both of these funds need to be examined very closely as to why they continue to lose money. It concerns me greatly when the director of the Fiscal Service Department reported that the golf fund would receive a $240,000 "gift" from the general fund. This was done in order to reduce the red ink this fund has been wallowing in for the past several years. Shifting monies around to make certain funds look better does not solve the problem. it adds to it.

There's a reason(s) why both of these funds continue to lose money, but before I can suggest solutions, I need to see exactly what is going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment